Saturday, September 4, 2010

Swim, swim and some more swim

Today I did an organized open water swim event. It was at Lake Quassapaug, where I thought I would never ever go again. Yep, parked in Quassy Park and boated over to the sailing club. I signed up for all 3 distances: 3 mile, started around 8:15, 1.5 mile, started about 11:15 and .5 mile, started at 1:30. I figured this was the year to go all out and challenge myself some more for something I had not ever done before.

3 miles is sooooo long and worse that it was a double loop of the point to point swim. The lake was quite choppy and I really did not want to do the other races, but after a few minutes that feeling subsided and w/about 45 minutes rest and some food, off I went for the 1.5 miler. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that I only had to go out and back one time because the back end of the route was pretty rough, like swimming in to a brick wall. Well at least for me. There were lots of 'swimmers' there and I am sure they did not find the water all that bad.

So I still love to swim. I am still slow as shit at it, but I really don't care. Times will be posted later (no chips, just a clock and someone writing down your number when you finished). My watch times were: 1:55, 1:01 and :21.

Great seeing Dave C - he is such a great swimmer - kicked ass even with pucking in the water. Unbelievable. I thought about attaching myself to him w/ a rope and I am sure had I done that he would still have been in the top 3.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Erica! Did just the 1.5 last year sans wetsuit and it was a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are crazy! I like swimming, but not that much! Good for you to complete all 3 distances...that is quite a feat! Hope you're enjoying your weekend! Take care.

    ReplyDelete