Saturday, June 26, 2010

40K TT Bike, Swim and Circuit

I met Dan at the bike shop this morning and we took off from there. He watched me ride, asked me a bunch of questions, as a result, I had alot of comments about what I was feeling that I hadn't thought of or paid attention to before. About 7.5 miles into the ride, we got to the Old Wethersfield Town Green - he too the allen wrench and made adjustments to the stem, aerobars and seat. Then I rode aero 4 times and he video taped each one. He made one further adjustment to the seat and then taped me 3 more times. We then rode back to the shop and talked about pelvis and back position in aero and up and also talked about cadence. So learned a few things and will be focused on my back/pelvis postions and also cadence for the weeks leading up to race. I should be able to make significant improvement in that time and may just have to do a few extra rides - nothing too long to screw up the training.

Rode a total of 16 miles and decided that since I had cumulative back/shoulder pain from last week and this week with the old bike fit, that was it for today for my bike. I will give myself a rest from the bike and with my massage on Monday, back should be good to go for a real bike test on Tuesday.

WOD#2: 600yd swim. I conducted an experiment. I used my gloves for the first 12 lengths to ensure my elbow was high. Time was 6:20 and avg HR was 127. Took a few seconds to get gloves off and then did second 12 w/out gloves. Time was 6:20, Avg HR was 130. Both times I felt like I was working much harder than my HR indicated.

WOD#3: Backsquats @70 weight - 21 reps, 500 row, 15 reps, 500 row, 9 reps, 500 row. I have used 95# in the past, but now I konw who goes to the Y Gym at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon in great weather - asshole young punks. I could not get in to use the squat rack - the guy said NO he wasn't done and then proceed to do just bicep curls. So, not optimal, but I had no choice to use the Smith machine and I went up to 115# and it may have been better for my back. In any event, the legs felt the squats. Total time - 11:01 included the back and forth time

Tomorrow I will do my 4x400 swim in my lake and enjoy the day outside.

4 comments:

  1. glad you got your bike sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan is the man! :) Hope the bike gets better for you.

    No shortage of (*) on the planet. Next time don't even ask, just assume possession!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had trouble getting my HR up yesterday too - muscles are fatigued is why. Other than that I feel great! You?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you would have smoked him on the circuit.

    ReplyDelete