Monday, June 7, 2010

Rev3 and the morning after

I finished and I cried as I cross the finish line.
Official results are: 7:06:06
Swim: 42:12
Bike: 3:53:40 (yuck, yuck and yuck)
Run: 2:22:47

I felt like I could have swam forever, was not winded and got into a great grove once I cleared the pack and had some room. (avg HR in the water was 148) So this race validated that my swim endurance is in tact and even if I shaved a few seconds off my 100s time in the pool, really doesn't matter - so no more worrying about the times in the water - I will only focus on effort level and ensuring I am pushing it as hard as I need to for the given workout.

Onto the bike - I honestly felt strong on the bike, my HR was so in control it was scary. Avg HR was 140 and hit a max of 168, probably on the first short steep hill. I took in a GU every 20 minutes/with water. Did my 2 salt tabs every hour. The first bike station was out of water - I was prepared to stop at a store or someones house if the 2nd station did not have water, but they had plenty and I refilled at both 2nd and 3rd stations. I kept steady up the 7.5 mile climb on Route 254. And I rode the brakes tons less than previous training rides on this course - clocked in at 35mph at one point - so I am getting better. My 'issue' is all about using my gears and knowing I can switch rings in a second if I had to - for most of the ride, I rode my small chain ring in anticipation of that huge hill coming and while the course was all big hills, rolling hills, I know I could have been in the big ring for a lot more than I was - not sure what my problem is. I also have confirmed riding aero is not something I like, not something I am comfortable with and will talk to Max about switching to my road bike - which is more comfortable. My back was really hurting on my ride (PT today)
I also forgot to grab my gloves and not sure if that is why my hands were completely numb on the ride - about 40 miles in I could hardly switch gears because I had no feeling in my hands. (hands still numb (only pinkies) this morning - just some nerves and I am sure it will go away soon.

The run - thankfully the first 1-2 miles was flat and down - my HR did not soar as I expected it to do. As others have said the course was very well stationed/supported and I am glad I opted to not take my fuel water belt. Continued with GU every 20, with water and salt every hour. The course was relentless - walked more than I wanted to, my 'healed' foot was hurting as was my left side as a result. I have to ditch my cushioned sneakers and transition completely to flats - have to do this before LP. The hills kept coming and coming - in hindsight, I could have not walked as much as I did and I know that.

I was hurting yesterday - felt a bit dizzy, but then finally was able to eat something 2 hrs after the race - had some good steak and chicken and a piece of paleo pecan pie I made ahead of time.
Forced myself to foam roll last night and was barely able to walk - left side felt very week. But today I feel tons better and only a bit sore/tight and feel as I do after a normal hard workout. My quads, hams feel fine, foot still hurts, but doctor said at my year checkup on Friday I need to just work through the pain.
Looking forward to a light workout, back PT and full body massage today.

9 comments:

  1. You did great! I think we all learned a lot from this race and can look in a positive direction toward Lake Placid! Enjoy the massage- you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are incredibly strong for conquering this course after last year's accident. I have no doubts about the success you'll have at Lake Placid. I am glad I can say I part of a team of great people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the wonder woman! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ariel you are too kind, but thanks. Overall, day after, I feel proud of the accomplishment - not many people can say they have done that distance anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to hang tough, Erica. LP is a piece of cake compared to that course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done Erica - that's a great result - I nearly always cry at the finish too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erica, you conquered the ReV3! Was so impressed with how strong you looked out on the run course. I wanted to cry at the end of this one too, but mostly because I felt like I'd been beat up by a big bully!

    Congrats! And, as Doug said... LP is a piece of cake after that nasty thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome work getting through it all. Im sure they were tears of joy for your accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete