Today I had a 30K bike TT on my schedule. Got on the trainer and was feeling pretty good and finally thought I found a gear I could keep a decent pace - but about 6-7 miles in, I hit a wall - I had to stop for a few seconds several times today. I realized two things - first my seat really is not comfortable on the trainer, but when I ride outside it is just fine. Does anyone else experience this?
Second - I really don't understand my bike gears. I usually start on the bigger of my 2 rings thinking that my speed is faster on the bigger chain ring and if I could keep a good cadence for the entire ride, I would be in great shape. I ended up in my smaller chain, in the middle gear and it felt harder than my big ring, easiest gear - so I obviously need some help in the mechanics of how the bike really works. I ended up the back 10 miles in the small ring, middle gear and my cadence was pretty good, but my speed was not what I had hoped for. I also think that because the seat is not comfortable, it makes my legs feel worse.
I am rambling, but will try and pull up my bike manual online and see if there is any info that will help me. I am not satisfied with a 15mph bike which is where I ended up for the 30k.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Erica,
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how often you ride on the indoor trainer, but I find the experience to be absolutely miserable. Yesterday I was sliding all around on my seat as no spot felt comfortable for too long. Gearing - also hard to find the exact right gear indoors - one will feel too easy and the next too hard - I generally don't have that problem outside. I just try to find one I can maintain a good cadence at TT intensity and try to stay in it. Speed indoors in not indicative to your speed outdoors for many reasons - power to weight ratio being the biggest.
Hope this helps.
Martin
Erica,
ReplyDeleteYesterday for the first time and after reading very carefully the trainers manual (http://www.kurtkinetic.com/manuals.php) I was able to setup correctly the know which manages the pressure/resistance between the bike wheel and the trainer cylinder.
Even after doing that, the seat also feels strange and the whole situation is just not a fun thing to do.
About the gears I try to simulate a similar "road experience", meaning that in the trainer we are kind of in a "flat surface" and the WOD are intended to be full in, so I use every time the Biggest ring on the pedals and the smallest gear on the rear, it's hard...
I hope i can ride outside in the real world but this weather is not good for that!