Saturday, April 10, 2010

40K Bike, Proud I got out, Doubted myself the whole way

My original plan was to do a charity ride w/a group at 8:00 am. I got to the bike shop (starting place), it was cold and I just wasn't dressed right. I also was 2nd guessing my decision to ride my road bike for this ride. W/in 5 minutes, I said hi to some friends and then made the decision to head home. I wanted to get a quality ride in and it just wasn't happening with me being freezing cold.

After 3 hrs of procrastination (well I did finish cleaning out my closet), looking outside at the strong wind, trying to talk myself out of riding outside, I just got dressed and got on my bike. It was windy, but the sun was out and I was dressed perfectly and I was on my Tri bike. Did the 40k in 1:38, ended up riding about 26 miles in total. There is a stupid hill at the end of my ride that I just can't seem to conquer. I got off the bike and had to walk up the hill. Is that allowed at LP? Do people do that? As I was walking, I asked myself, what the 'F' am I doing - I am not feeling the hills, and that is a problem. Do I need to do a flat IM? I got back home, purged my doubt to husband, who said, you will be fine - it is early, you haven't been riding outside that long. You did it last year, but in the same breath, he said avoid the hills next time, well that was the WRONG answer, I need to seek out the hills and that is exactly what I need to do, I can't try to pick flat routes to do the bike intervals - I need to just go with the hills and take whatever time I get. I will get up that stupid hill next time. (for those locals, it is the hill up Barndoor Hill Rd going towards Simsbury Rd)

Link: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ct/simsbury-rd-into-granbymass-loop-%28damn-hill%29/932127092743611212


Deadlifts, later, much much later. - 95, 115, 125, 125, 135, 145, failed at 165

4 comments:

  1. Crap! You just reminded me I have another workout to do today. I thought I was done. I know you can ride hills - you need to know it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica — you'll be fine with the hills at LP, they are more long than steep. I've been there twice and if I can do it, you can do it. Just started training with Max for IMAZ. The flat one! www.itri2.blogspot.com

    You're training looks great. No time for self doubt. Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I think one of the many benefits of Blogging is to get such great feedback. I know I can do the hills, it is just sometimes frustrating, but in thinking about this time last year, I was barely even riding outside, so it is still early. Long and gradual I can definitely do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wind was brutal today, I almost got knocked over a couple of times. I find if I look only a couple of feet ahead, before you know it the hill is done. You will kick butt!

    ReplyDelete